Saturday, January 2, 2016

€ 45 pounds, 5 euros tomatoes: ask the note of snob … – Slate.fr

For some, it is important to display at home or on social networking surrounded by books or specialized films. . One way to sit his tasteful man image and who knows what the future holds

This happened to most of us into a shop “just to see “and come out with perfectly unnecessary purchases, the worst being fully aware of having. Upon becoming sickly, this tendency to compulsive buying has a name: the oniomanie, highlighted by psychiatrists in the early twentieth th century and legally recognized by certain countries (including La France). Like other addictions, it is possible to recognize this disease in court.

I’m not being reached oniomanie some of my behavior sometimes make me want to kick me head against the wall. Sometimes I spend long minutes in canned radius of my supermarket to choose the perfect box of peeled tomatoes, corresponding in my opinion the best value for money, to save a few precious pennies. On the shopping list, each the subject of a well-considered choice to be part of a responsible consumption approach. And so after adding twenty items in my cart, I feel a sense of satisfaction at the thought of having saved about 2 euros (this is a rough estimate).



A good conscience cheap

After paying her shopping and tidy, mature consumer that I decided to take out the air. It happens by chance at his favorite bookstore, decides to enter a few minutes to have a look and then come out with 45 euros pounds. Arriving home, he opened the bag cardboard bookstore, released the precious books and will put them alongside dozens of other books eagerly awaiting an open day. This stack to read (including term used by all bloggers) will never cease to be fed, but too few samples will be taken in order to be actually read.

I just save a few coins by doing my shopping and I spent twenty times in unnecessary purchases

To summarize: to pay attention to my budget I just save a few coins by doing my shopping and I spent twenty times in unnecessary purchases and even unsatisfactory, since they are ultimately increased my feeling of not reading enough and spending too much in culture. Look no consistency in it: there is none. But it is as if the economy made the supermarket allowed me to buy a good conscience and allow me a compulsive purchase. And never mind totally unequal amounts.



Cultural Exhibition

Let us be clear. Among those who frequently buy books, there are those who read avidly and regularity, decrease by regularly reading a stack never completely empty (otherwise it’s scary) but that is renewed continuously. But the majority seems made me who, like me, continue to cultural purchases is completely veiling the face: a lack of available brain time, many books bought usually end up at foot of the bed or in the library, absolutely Blank all readers. What happens seems pretty well summarized by this cartoon Tom Gauld, published by the Guardian last year:



 There is indeed in the cultural purchasing a link with the need to show who we are, with more or less honesty. When purchasing the DVD of a movie or some singular very demanding and we saw (rather) like, it is not necessarily in order to see him sooner or later. It’s just a way to show, and his friends and eventually the whole world, we have seen the film in question, which is that level, you deserve a badge of cinephile .

New deal

Social networks have had several effects on these demonstration purposes (as other than oneself) through the purchase. It dorénévant just a tweet, a Facebook status or a micro-critic to know more what we thought a movie. No need to highlight on its shelves. However, the opportunity to exhibit its purchases of books on Instagram (even never talk about books in question, history nobody knows if they have been read or not) may instead push to consume more, or more multicast manner, while ensuring to choose versions as aesthetic as possible. To paraphrase Jean Cocteau and his words about love. There are no readings, but evidence of readings

The new digital cultural spaces, however, could change the situation in any case in a some consumers. While CD sales have dropped by half between 2003 and 2012, not only because of illegal downloading or many digital offerings in this area: it is also because once past the digital side of the fence The consumer has no more interest in buying in bulk. In a world where buying an album takes only a few seconds (plus a few minutes of download if you have a wifi as mediocre as mine), we can quietly buy his music, as and when, instead of choosing five albums at once. In terms of literature, reading lights also tend to limit impulse buying: using a Kindle or Kobo is able to buy a new book almost anytime. Under these conditions, no need to get ahead, especially as there will be no library or garnish Instagram to achieve.



Physics vs digital

Studies show, however, that consumers of digital cultural assets are far from all former culture buyers on physical media. The study of Echoes, 30% of people who download video games do not buy in stores. Similarly 19% of online music downloaders. Conversely, all cultural consumers “physical” are far from ready to go digital, me. Regarding books, there is the love of the paper, need to smell the book, to have contact with him. The argument often laugh reading lights owners, but it is nevertheless very real.

I need to be surrounded by movies and books that marked my life in any way

But there are also and above all the need to feel they own the crop stores, and therefore to possess materially. Have gigabytes of music on iTunes or tons of books on a reading light does not seem to me satisfactory: I need to be surrounded by movies and books that marked my life in any way, as well as those I may end by enjoying a day. There is something very comforting to be surrounded by books. The idea that the world could collapse, or the Internet network could be destroyed forever by terrorist villains, but that will not remove me.



The hope of the transmission

Sometimes I see libraries that decorate several rooms of the family home. I had to read 50% of these books (much more disciplined than me, my wife must be 80%). I imagine that with the money spent in all those unread books, I could offer us a week’s holiday. Then I tell myself that when our kids are old enough to read novels for adults (in 2024, so), they will be spoiled for choice, and that is a good thing. A good friend told me recently that although he only uses online services for listening to music, it would continue to buy CDs in bulk. His goal is that one day, avid curiosity, their unborn children climb on a stool to grab boxes at random and listen to some of these disks to which they pass all these years without paying attention.

Although it is a bit idealistic (some kids will never make it all their lives, for lack of curiosity or contempt for the cultural tastes of their parents), I adhere to this principle enough . I doubt our children to go digging in our iTunes or in our reading light. As long as this exists, they need also to have actual hand. Books of breathing, discs inserted in the drive, jackets inspected. This sweet hope to convey something to my children (or, on the books I have not read, allowing them to discover worlds that are unknown to me) is for me the best reason to keep doing this kind of ‘impulse buying. In any case, this argument is ideal to give me good conscience.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment